The church was restored in 1912, while in the 1950s, the building of the Ministry of Education was erected, and the church's area was limited in its present day form. In 1963 they added the steeple over its entrance.
Viewing entries in
Devoted to the archangels, this church stands at the site of a former Byzantine chapel. Built sometime in the 11th or 12th century, the original structure was almost entirely destroyed during the Revolution of 1821.
Established in 1843, St. Paul's Anglican Church is located at the junction of Philellinon Street with Amalias Avenue in downtown Athens.
The Church of the Holy Apostles, also known as Holy Apostles of Solaki or Agii Apostoli is located in the Ancient Agora of Athens, Greece, next to the Stoa of Attalos, and can be dated to around the late 10th century.
Around AD 700, the temple was turned into a Christian church, dedicated to Saint George. Exactly when the temple was converted to a Christian church remains unknown. There are assumptions however that this possibly occurred in the 7th century.
The Parthenon is a former temple, on the Athenian Acropolis, Greece, dedicated to the goddess Athena, whom the people of Athens considered their patron. Construction began in 447 BC when the Athenian Empire was at the peak of its power. It was completed in 438 BC although decoration of the building continued until 432 BC.
The construction date is controversial; it might be the late 11th/ early 12th, or the 14th century. On closer look at the masonry, you shall notice that some parts are much cruder than the others (compare, for example, the external wall of apse and the northern wall).
The church was built in the 12th century and it was renovated due to the many damages it suffered during the War of Independence The church is under the jurisdiction of the Holy Archdiocese of Athens.
Small Nassos dating from the 16th to the 17th century, built as part of a house, is preserved and is open all year round by crowds of tourists and visitors…
The church was built during the 11th century (1040-1050) by the emperor’s grandson, Paul Xeropotaminos, who was later officially canonized (declared a saint).
It dates from the middle of the 11th century. Initially it was dedicated to Agioi Theodoroi, but in 1767 it became the Metochi of the Monastery of Agia Aikaterini in Sinai.
This is a relatively unknown church. But this is a very special church with beautiful frescoes.
The new church was designed by lissandros Kaftantzoglou and construction began in August 1846. The local community, the Municipality of Athens and the Public Revenue Office funded the project. The church is a three aisled domed basilica.
The Church of the Apostle Philip - Ιερός Ναός Αγίου Φιλίππου, located opposite the entrance of the archaeological site of the ancient Agora. It was built in 1961 on the foundations of an early Christian basilica.
The church of Panagia Kapnikarea is built on the ruins of an ancient temple, dedicated to a female goddess, possibly Athena or Demeter. It was founded at the beginning of the 11th century (around 1050 A.D.) and was probably named after its donor.
The church is built on top of the ruins of ancient temple dedicated to the goddess Eileithyia. Various dates for its construction have been proposed in the past, from the 9th century under Empress Irene of Athens to the 13th century. Until recently, the common view among scholars, especially in Greece, ascribed it to the tenure of Michael Choniates as Metropolitan of Athens, at the turn of the 13th century.
Workers used marble from 72 demolished churches to build the Cathedral's immense walls. Three architects and 20 years later, it was complete. On May 21, 1862, the completed Cathedral was dedicated to the Annunciation of the Mother of God by the King and Queen.