Widely known as St. Bart’s, the iconic church with its distinctive dome is recognized for its inclusivity and tradition of "radical welcome." St. Bart's is located on Park Avenue and 50th Street in New York City.
Viewing entries in
New York City
When the exciting new building was consecrated in 1977, it became known as a welcoming place. The interior, designed by Vignelli Associates, is a flexible space allowing for a great variety of expressions of worship through liturgy, song, sermon, dance, music and poetry. It is a place for all , a majestic rock, a sanctuary of light, a surprise on Lexington Avenue.
The new building was consecrated on March 7, 1846.
First cathedral church for the Diocese of New York (created 1808 by Pope Pius VII), second Catholic church in Manhattan, and third Catholic church in all of New York State.
On Thursday, March 22, 1810, the Church was consecrated according to the rites and ceremonies of the Protestant Episcopal Church by the Right Rev. Benjamin Moore and renamed "Zion Protestant Episcopal Church." (http://www.transfigurationnyc.org/p/about-us/our-history)
Emanu-El merged with Temple Beth-El in New York, New York on April 11, 1927, and both are considered co-equal parents of the current Emanu-El. In 1929, the congregation moved to its present location at 65th Street and Fifth Avenue, where the Temple building was constructed to designs of Robert D. Kohn on the former site of the Mrs. William B. Astor House.
The Eldridge Street Synagogue is one of the first synagogues erected in the United States by Eastern European Jews (Ashkenazim). One of the founders was Rabbi Eliahu the Blessed (Borok), formerly the Head Rabbi of St. Petersburg, Russia. It opened at 12 Eldridge Street in New York's Lower East Side in 1887 serving Congregation Kahal Adath Jeshurun.
After almost two centuries, Green-Wood is as beautiful as it was at its founding. But such historic beauty is fragile. Time and weather have taken their toll on marble sculpture, granite monuments, brownstone mausoleums, cast-iron signs and landscaped parkland.
With a 281-foot high steeple, Trinity was the tallest building in New York City until 1890.
Riverside Church is a Christian church in Morningside Heights, Upper Manhattan, New York City. It opened its doors on October 5, 1930. It is situated at 120th Street and 490 Riverside Drive, near the Columbia University Morningside Heights Campus, across the street from, and one block south of, President Grant's Tomb.
The Cloisters opened to the public on May 10, 1938. In 1958, the 12th-century limestone apse from the church in Fuentidueña, Spain, arrived to become part of the structure.
In 2016, under the current rector, The Right Reverend Dean E. Wolfe, St. Bartholomew’s was designated a National Historic Landmark and continues to enjoy a good working relationship with the New York Landmarks Conservancy.
St. Patrick’s Cathedral is the Mother Church of the Archdiocese of New York and the seat of its Archbishop.
In 2008, rededication and celebration in honor of the reopening of the entire length of the Cathedral. Guests in the service include New York Senators Hillary R. Clinton and Charles E. Schumer, Cardinal Edward Egan, and firefighters who battled the 2001 fire. (http://www.stjohndivine.org/about/history)