Small Nassos dating from the 16th to the 17th century, built as part of a house, is preserved and is open all year round by crowds of tourists and visitors…
The church was built during the 11th century (1040-1050) by the emperor’s grandson, Paul Xeropotaminos, who was later officially canonized (declared a saint).
It dates from the middle of the 11th century. Initially it was dedicated to Agioi Theodoroi, but in 1767 it became the Metochi of the Monastery of Agia Aikaterini in Sinai.
The Hosios Loukas, the oldest in the complex, is the only church known with certainty to have been built in mainland Greece in the tenth century.
This temple was destroyed in 373 B.C. by an earthquake and was rebuilt for the third time in 330 B.C. Spintharos, Xenodoros, and Agathon, architects from Corinth. The sculptures that adorned its pediment were the creation of Athenian sculptors Praxias and Androsthenes.
This is a relatively unknown church. But this is a very special church with beautiful frescoes.
The new church was designed by lissandros Kaftantzoglou and construction began in August 1846. The local community, the Municipality of Athens and the Public Revenue Office funded the project. The church is a three aisled domed basilica.
The Church of the Apostle Philip - Ιερός Ναός Αγίου Φιλίππου, located opposite the entrance of the archaeological site of the ancient Agora. It was built in 1961 on the foundations of an early Christian basilica.
The church of Panagia Kapnikarea is built on the ruins of an ancient temple, dedicated to a female goddess, possibly Athena or Demeter. It was founded at the beginning of the 11th century (around 1050 A.D.) and was probably named after its donor.
The church is built on top of the ruins of ancient temple dedicated to the goddess Eileithyia. Various dates for its construction have been proposed in the past, from the 9th century under Empress Irene of Athens to the 13th century. Until recently, the common view among scholars, especially in Greece, ascribed it to the tenure of Michael Choniates as Metropolitan of Athens, at the turn of the 13th century.
Workers used marble from 72 demolished churches to build the Cathedral's immense walls. Three architects and 20 years later, it was complete. On May 21, 1862, the completed Cathedral was dedicated to the Annunciation of the Mother of God by the King and Queen.
The Basilica and Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is a Roman Catholic Basilica in the Mission Hill neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts, sometimes known as The Mission Church. The Redemptorists of the Baltimore Province have ministered to the parish since the church was first opened in 1870.
The titanic holy lady was built in 1954 by the fathers of the Don Orione order. The large lady stands atop a globe representing her God-given power over the universe.
The Cathedral of the Holy Cross is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston and is the largest Roman Catholic church in New England.
Old North Church at 193 Salem Street, in the North End, Boston, is the location from which the famous "One if by land, two if by sea" signal is said to have been sent.
St. Leonard's Church is a Roman Catholic church located at the corner of Hanover and Prince Streets in the North End of Boston, Massachusetts. It is one of the oldest churches built by Italian immigrants in the United States.
King's Chapel is an independent Christian unitarian congregation affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association that is "unitarian Christian in theology, Anglican in worship, and congregational in governance."
St. Paul's was founded in 1819. when there were two other Episcopal parishes in Boston, Christ Church (better known as Old North Church), and Trinity Church.
The famous Copley Square building is the third home to this parish. The first two were located in what is now the Downtown Crossing area of Boston. After the second church was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1872, Brooks moved the parish to Boston’s new Back Bay neighborhood, a recently land-filled marsh.
The church, constructed between 1872 and 1875 for a congregation founded in 1669, is also known for being the church at the Boylston Street finish line of the Boston Marathon.