Religious denomination/affiliation: Roman Catholic, Archdiocese of Newark
St. Lucy's was named after St. Lucy of Syracuse, the patron saint of blindness. Legends vary, but Lucy's mother wanted her to marry a pagan, but Lucy wanted to either remain chaste or save herself for a Christian. In one version of the story, the Emperor Diocletian had Lucy's eyes put out.
In its heyday, from about 1880 to 1925, the First Ward [the streets of the neighborhood] was the most densely populated Italian neighborhood in Newark, which had the fifth highest Italian population in the country…
It is home to the American national shrine to Saint Gerard Majella… and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Virtual 360˚ Photo
All media taken by Luke Cabading.